Endless Possibilities

Endless Possibilities

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

When it clicks:)

So I'm not sure this actually has to so with technology...well maybe in a round about way. I had the most awesome experience with my fourth graders this week. Technology in our school district is very basic and this is because no one has taken the time to go out there and discover all the cool gadgets that we can incorporate into our classroom so that is why I decided to get my master's in Educational Technology. Anyways I'm off track..back to my students. I've been working with my students on using Microsoft Power Point. This is the first time most of them have ever done anything like this. They are so intrigued and are loving. I just have to show them one time and SNAP!!! they get it. I just took some time to step back and watch them. Their faces were full of excitement and they were helping and encouraging one another. They were showing me things they were discovering left and right. I wasn't the center of attention and it was the most amazing experience. So while teaching has its bad days....I'm saving this memory to bring back the smile. I love those "aha" moments!

Check out this SlideShare Presentation:

7 comments:

  1. Yea, I had the same experience with my 3rd grades. They have put together their own powerpoint presentations about a president. They really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joni, I love the quote by Garrison Keillor at the top of your blog -- it reminds me of the poem "When you thought I wasn't looking" which you've probably heard before but can be read here in case you haven't: http://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/4004/52.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great moment! Good for you and thanks for sharing it! And the picture in your blog is breathtaking. I'm going to copy your idea and find a pic for next blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I love those "Aha" moment feelings. I was able to help the fourth graders in one building create PowerPoints for the states they were studying. Same kind of thing. After an introduction, they added wonderful backgrounds and pictures and word art, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the aha moments. There's something about a technological breakthrough moment with kids when they figure out something - especially shortcuts - that you haven't yet. Every year when I do my video projects, there's something that gets a little clearer and easier thanks to the work of my students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's great that your 4th graders are using Power Point. Students in my school district don't learn it until their freshmen. My students prepare a power point for their semester project and then they have to present it to the whole class. Having a peer audience is great. They work hard so others in their class will like their info, design, animations etc. Peer audiences is a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, this has EVERYTHING to do with technology--and good teaching and effective learning.

    And it's not about the gadgets. It's about an awareness of the possibilities, about creativity, about connections. Your students will need you to lead them to alternatives to Poweroint, to other tools that allow them to be more creative and less linear, to show them now many of our Web 2.0 tools play nicely together, to model learning from and with others.

    Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete

Quote of the Month

Choice, not circumstances, determines your success



By: Author Unknown